The Heel Drop is another great exercise to stretch the calf muscles, the Achilles tendon, as well as the fascia under the heel. You can do this where ever you see a set of stairs. And it only takes a couple of minutes. One of my favorites before I head out for a run!
- Look for a set of stairs with railings.
- Hold on to railings for support.
- Place the ball of your left foot on the edge of a step.
- Place entire right foot on the step above for stability.
- Gradually let the heel of your left foot drop, while keeping your leg straight.
- Feel the stretch in the sole of your left foot, Achilles tendon and calf muscles.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the stretch three to five times for each leg.
- You can even repeat this after a run or a workout.
Demonstrated by Meg Vitter of Boston, MA.
See other exercises at Aches & Joints
© Arun Shanbhag 2008