I am well-fed. Thanks to all foodies on my “Food to Live For” Blogroll (see sidebar), M is inspired to try various dishes. After adapting Sailu’s recipe for our Boston home, M made these delicious Phova poLo with our own onion chutney for brunch.
Phovu (beaten or flattened rice) is a staple of Konkanis and I have previously posted our traditional breakfast, Tambdo Phovu.
The poLo in this recipe reminded us of the konkani delicacy surNoLi. The surNoLi recipe is very similar to the poLo here, with the addition of soyi (grated coconut), the batter being fermented more and the poLo laid heavier (daaTh). In another variation, the batter is mixed with jaggery resulting in a sweet surNoLi.
- Tāndool (rice, 2 cups)
- Phovu (thin flattened rice, 1/2 cup)
- MétHi (fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp)
- MeeTh (salt, to taste)
- dhayī (yogurt, 2 cups)
- udaak (water, 1 cup)
Phovu and metHi
- Mix and soak all ingredients overnight. We don’t use any soda bicarbonate, or lemon juice to enhance fermentation.
- Blend thoroughly and keep aside on the counter for four hours to facilitate further fermentation.
- Pre-heat non-stick pan.
- Mix batter and adjust to desired consistency by adding water.
- Ladle out batter and lightly lay over pan in a circle.
- Batter will flow to achieve optimum size depending on its consistency.
- Freshly laid poLo; cook covered for two minutes
- Note browned edge of poLo indicating the side is done
- Turn over poLo and cook covered for two more minutes.
Ingredients: Onion Chutney
- soyi (grated coconut, 1/2 cup; frozen, microwaved to thaw)
- red onion (half medium sized, chopped)
- tambdi mirsang (red peper dry roasted, 2 – 4 for desired ‘hotness’)
- chinchanm (tamarind, 1 tsp lump)
- meeTH (salt, to taste)
- Blend all ingredients thoroughly in 1/4 cup water
- Mix in salt to taste
- Garnish with chopped onions.
My Related Food Posts:
- Surnoli: Watermelon Rice Pancakes
- New: Making Tambdo Phovu – Red Flattened Rice, & earlier version
- Shanbhag Fast Food
- Fill-up at the Idli House
- Fast Food at Murugan Idli
- Dill Idlis
- Kaapi: Way coffee should be enjoyed
- Video: Making Puran Polis
- Video: Making Rava Dosa
- Video: Making Mysore Masala Dosa