When I work mornings from home, I’ll make a quick lunch before rushing off to work; usually a sandwich or a roll-up.
For a leisurely dinner, I may roast vegetables on the grill for a roll-up, but for lunch my favorite is using Vegetable Masala burgers from Trader Joes. Mumbaikars will recognize these as the pattis of a ragda-pattis! We horde 5-6 boxes of these in our freezer. For weekday dinners, M may crisp these on a tavaa (flat pan) and top with freshly made ‘ussal.’ Top with some yogurt, minced onions and chaat masala; yumm! Roll-ups with masala burgers take less than 15 minutes to make and are delicious.
Ingredients, and How I make it?
- As the frozen pattis crisps on the tavaa, I mince a slice of red onion and a small tomato.
- Rinse any greens that I have; usually baby spinach.
- Along with the pattis, I’ll throw on the tavaa a few cloves of pre-roasted garlic.
- When the pattis is done on both sides, I cut it in 3-4 strips.
- Turn off the gas and on the tavaa, warm a tortilla (basil tomato).
- Flip tortilla once and melt a slice of cheese cut in strips.
- Throw on baby spinach, pattis strips, garlic, minced tomatoes, onions, some sauce (usually green chilli sauce from a bottle).
- Roll tightly. I’m finicky and can’t stand any ‘dripping.’
- Eat slowly, completely chewing the food!
I usually accompany with water or vegetable juice. This was my lucky day; I made mango lassi! Yoo Hoo!
Tasty, healthy and takes less than 15 minutes! With the wife on a different continent, the best I can do! You can make this with innumerable variations!