That gift which is given, knowing it to be a duty, in a fit time and place, to a worthy person, from whom we expect nothing in return, is held to be most pure.
~ Bhagavad Gita, 17:20
Several years ago we started these scholarships to support needy girls at the Shanbhag School in Kumta. This year, more friends and family joined in helping us support 48 students (29 girls and 19 boys). We extended beyond our original charter and 40 of 48 students are from other schools in Kumta. With your support we will keep growing and eventually cover ALL needy students in Kumta!
The staff at the Shanbhag School do all the hard work of collecting applications and identifying truly needy candidates. On every trip I also visit a few scholarship recipients in their homes, to partly ensure they are truly needy, but importantly to enlist parents in facilitating a good education for their child.
Here are a few pics of students I took on this recent visit. Above are two sisters we supported. We have supported the older sister for several years. She is also in this post from an earlier visit (fourth pic).
When I called on them, this kid was helping his father in their restaurant along the highway (see next pic).
Their restaurant is a very simple place on NH-17, catering mainly to day laborers. Life is tough for many. I get to see this first hand and be touched by it. In a way, this nourishes and impels me in all I do. Consider reading this post on the Flower Sellers at Dadar.
Two more, hanging out in their father’s shop.
Appended are names of students who received scholarships. Scholarships were granted purely on the basis of need and included full tuition and a daily lunch. And a fabulous lunch it is.
The Saraswati Vidya Kendra and the Shanbhag High School are managed by the Konkan Education Trust, Kumta, India.
Primary Students, Saraswati Vidya Kendra
- Kumari Kamakshi PS, Class I
- Kumari Harshini KH, Class II
- Kumari Kavya UH, Class II
- Maruti SP, Class III
- Kumari Ranjita NH, Class III
- Ganapati PS, Class IV
- Aditya NK, Class V
- Kumari Nidhi SK, Class V
- Nakul NP, Class V
- Kartik PS, Class V
- Kumari Nidhi BB, Class VI
- Srinivas VS, Class VI
- Kumari Bhagavati SD, Class VII
- Deepesh MN, Class VII
- Vishal VS, Class VII
- Kumari Padmavati VS, Class VIII
- Kumari Rekha KH, Class VIII
- Kumari Akshata SS, Class IX
- Kumari Nagaratna VB, Class IX
- Kartik BS, Class X
- Nagendra KH, Class X
- Ramnath GS, Class X
- Vinayak AS, Class X
Secondary Students, Shanbhag High School
The Gibb High School, Gibb Girls High School, Mahatma Gandhi High Shool, and the Gibb English Medium High School are managed by the Kanara Education Society, Kumta. Since many of these Schools receive government aid, as well as food for their students, their scholarships costs are much lower.
@ the Gibb Girls High School. I have used this pic previously, but beautiful, no?
Gibb High School, Kumta
- Ganesh AS, Class VIII
- Vivek VN, Class VIII
- SPeter D, Class VIII
- Vinayak DK, Class VIII
- Kumari Malati BH, Class VIII
- Kumari Mallika MP, Class VIII
- Kumari Shweta AS, Class VIII
- Kumari Poojita SN, Class VIII
- Kumari Teena KD, Class VIII
- Kumari Nisha MS, Class IX
- Kumari Soumya SP, Class IX
- Kumari Usha UB, Class X
- Kumari Jyoti US, Class X
- Kumari Vanita NP, Class VIII
- Kumari Hasanbanu MS, Class VIII
- Kumari Ganapati NP, Class VIII
- Kumari Chandrahas SA, Class VIII
- Kumari Swati SP, Class VIII
- Kumari Divyashri RN, Class IX
- Kumari Lata RP, Class X
- Gajanan GN, Class VIII
- Preetam RR, Class VIII
- Jasper TN, Class VIII
- Kumari Shruddha JS, Class IX
- Kumari Atitha MR, Class X
Gibb Girls High School, Kumta
Mahatma Gandhi High School, Chitrigi, Kumta
Gibb English Medium High School, Kumta
Read more about our Scholarships:
- Scholarship Activities at Shikshan.org
- How to help; Ask me if you have queries or concerns.
- Scholarship for the needy 2008-2009. List of last year’s recipients.
My Posts on Kumta:
- Kumta: Jewel of the Konkan
- Kumta: Main Street
- Kumta: Field of Dreams
- Kumta: School Kids
- Young Women Making Papads in Kumta
My Posts on the Shanbhag School, Kumta
- Lunch at the Saraswati Vidya Kendra – Don’t miss audio of students chanting
- Lunch at the Shanbhag School
- Shanbhag School in Kumta
- Academic Update from the Shanbhag School – 2008.
- Academic Update from the Shanbhag School – 2009. These students are good!
- Earlier visit to student homes