Jai Hanuman Gyan Guna Sagar
Jai Kapis Tihun Lok Ujaagar
Glory to Hanuman
Limitless ocean of wisdom and virtue,
Glory to leader of primates
Whose fame lights the three worlds
In the New Year!
May the gracious Hanuman guide you
To overcome weakness, and
Use your strength to serve the Divine!
Meera, M & A
Maruti (Hanuman) sitting in virāsan from the Chinmaya Maruti, Andover, MA
Our Bharat trips are planned around visits to popular temples. Meera too loves temples and has figured out what is required, and promptly removes her sandals on entering. She gazes at the murthy in awe, speaks in hushed tones and respectfully bows. She delightfully receives the aarti, looks forward to prasad and asks me for money to place in the Hundi (donation box). She is fascinated by the different animals and birds carved in relief, painted on murals or on calendars inside, and points to each of them. As she leaves, she even turns back for a last glance. Meera’s fascination with temples makes it easy for us to visit our favorite temples.
Just a few blocks from our home is a Hanuman (popularly called Maruti) Shrine. We walk there nearly every evening on the way to Gateway of India, or Kailash Parbat for a snack. On Saturdays, we often visit the Hanuman Mandir on Picket Rd in Dhobitalao, smack across the Kalbadevi Police Chowki and near Parsi Dairy Farm and Gita Press bookstore. Nestled in a row of shabby buildings, it would be easy to miss, but for the throng of devotees clamoring outside.
Next to the Hanuman murthy, there is also a shrine to Shani, ruling deity of the planet Saturn. We pray to Shani to rid negative influences in our daily lives.
See more pics from the Picket Rd Hanuman Mandir here.
Other Hanuman Temples:
- Hanuman Jayanti – Hanuman Mandir, Picket Rd, Mumbai
- Hanumant Devasthan, Bhatkal – Walking with Abbu
- Celebrating Ram Navami: A Tribute to Rama
Our Other New Year greetings:
- New Year 2013: Meera at Play in Boston
- New Year Greetings 2010: Meera: Center of My Universe
- New Year Greetings 2009: Boston Public Gardens
- New Year Greetings 2008: Kenai Fjords, Alaska
- New Year Greetings 2007: Innsbruck, Austria
- New Year Greetings 2006: Tulips
- New Year Greetings 2005: Athabasca Glacier, Canada