Now that M & Meera are in Boston, I worry less (about the house, yard or anything else) and explore culinary creations. Here is an all-natural Red Juice loaded with important nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants.
I had seen an ingredient list without the cilantro and tried making it. Attempted first with one apple and felt it needed more sweetness; the raw ginger gave a nice kick. Considered switching directions and adding salt and pepper. But settled on adding one more apple for sweetness, more ginger and the cilantro complemented the ginger and rounded out the taste. No need for sugar or salt. Just perfect.
This juice is insanely nutritious and packed with so many vitamins, particularly folates, vitamin A and vitamin C. Loaded with naturally occurring, powerful anti-oxidants which mop up injurious free-radicals associated with aging and cancer development. Many of the ingredients have natural anti-inflammatory properties, and those in ginger are even known to reduce the deleterious effects of arthritis. Beet is additionally loaded with iron and potassium; carrots with beta carotene and apples brimming with vitamins, soluble finer and natural sugars. These even boost the immune system. This juice is verily a powerhouse of health. Drink a glass and you’ll feel the nutrients gird your system and relax your mind. Why buy anything with synthetic chemicals, fake colors and cooked to kill important micronutrients? Make it!
- Apple – 2 large sized (1 gala and 1 red delicious; de-cored)
- Carrots – 4 medium sized carrots; washed and peeled. Approximate volume of 1 apple
- Beet – 1/2 large beet; washed and peeled. Approximate volume of 3/4 apple
- Cilantro – 1 sprig; washed
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon; peeled and sliced
- Lemon – 1 tablespoon juice
- Water – 2 cups
I don’t have a fancy juicer, but used a KitchenAid blender and it worked amazingly well slashing the carrots and beet to pulp. Did this in two batches; after a first blend, I strained and re-blended the bits and pieces. Turned a nice slushy red. Kept refrigerated for 30 minutes till the guests came. Stirred and served. Refrigerated the last glass for the next morning and it was perfect.
Other Food Related
- Badshah – King of Juices and Cold Drinks
- Berry Delicious Thick Yogurt
- Cherry tomatoes
- Elephants Ogling Raspberries
- Grape Tomatoes on ice.
- Quick Lunch: Vegetable Roll-up
- Duddali: Arrowroot Pudding
- How to Grill Spicy Salmon
- Colaba Vegetable Market
- Vegetable Market in Kumta
- Crunchy Yogurt
- Video: Making Puran Polis